Monday, March 12, 2012

Big Gift?

{via}
My mother always taught me to accept a gift with grace and to always say thank you. But what do you do when you feel you’ve received a gift that is to big? In a few weeks, I’m heading to Washington, DC to speak to college women on leadership and contacted my best friend that I would be in her state.

Knowing that I’m frugal, she kindly agreed to pick me up from the airport and attend the event with me which saved me a rental car and a hotel room. This act is something that I am very grateful for since we’re still paying down our debt snowball and in the end it saves me money. I had found a round trip flight to the city for $196.00 but the airport was an extra hour away, so she asked me to change the airport for her. In the end it cost me a little more in airfare ($293) but I chalked it up to free place to sleep/free transportation so in my opinion – it comes out even in the end.

With my birthday just a few days away, she sent me a check for my gift. The amount is for $150.00. To me, it this seems a little much and that I should really send it back but then the little voice in my head keeps repeating “debt snowball…debt snowball”. So what would you do? Would you give the check back and tell your friend that the gift while kind is too generous? Or do you keep the check and use it towards your debt snowball?

5 comments:

  1. I fly into DC all the time and one airport is always $100 more. I am sure she knows this and has asked you to go to the airport that is convenient for her. She is sending the money to make up for this. Take the gift graciously. I always take the metro into the city from the airport and meet whoever at what ever station is close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a best friend like this. She has given me very generous gifts over the years. She believes that the reason she and her husband have done well financially is because they have shared with others and have been blessed in return. Accept the gift graciously, tell her how appreciative you are and use the money wisely. Sometimes we need to be a good receiver as well as a good giver.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Ramsey said something I agree with. You give and become wealthy, not become wealthy and give. I'm not saying your friend is or isn't wealthy, but it seems they love to give. Accept it gracefully and pay it forward when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am guilty of giving big gifts. They are not thinking about giving you big gifts, but just a gift because they appreciate you. So take it gracefully and thank her, but don't think that you will owe her anything or think you're indebted to your friend. A few of my friends would be taken aback when I'd give them something and think I was either expecting something in return or would be constantly reminding them about the deed. It's not like that. They just like you and have the ability to help you some. Also, your birthday and that event may just be completely separate and unrelated, so she might've budgetted the $150 gift way before this trip came to be. You have a great friend.

    ReplyDelete